Friday, July 31, 2015

RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper


Rowdy Roddy Piper has died of cardiac arrest in California at the age of 61. My plans to watch the WWE Network tonight late night and some WCW content have been put on hold. Tonight, to honor the Hot Rod, I'll be lighting a candle in my own way by trying to find some of his best matches or best segments of Piper's Pit.

I didn't see the first Wrestlemania live or anything. My parents rented it for me time and again in a stack of videos from the movie rental store. It was my first exposure to pro wrestling. And Rowdy Piper was in the main event of that Wrestlemania.

His match with Bret Hart for the IC title was a great one that I remember vividly. I remember him going half black and half white with Bad News Brown. I remember seeing him and Ric Flair wrestle live on Monday Night RAW when I was in attendance in 2006. I might have seen him one of the last times he was in the ring.

And so pro wrestling loses yet another member from my childhood. A good man. This one really stings - this one was a 'big' one. The Royal Rumble in Heaven just got a huge pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment